Install Nuvolaris and join us at the Install Party

We are going to organize a Nuvolaris Install Party to be streamed live on Twitch and YouTube!

Do you want to join? Install Nuvolaris and report success here.

All those who reports a successful installation in this topic will be invited to join us live at the install party!

If your installation fails, then file a bug and partecipate to our bug bounty and win a book on Apache OpenWhisk!

1 Like

Installation was successful on MacOS M1 (13.3.1 (22E261)) - screenshots provided below for:

• nuv update
  • nuv setup devcluster
  • nuv setup nuvolaris hello (kind of redundant since it’s done with the above command

Great! Thank you a lot!

Hi, the installation on Windows 11 Pro (OS Build 22621.2215) was successful.

I think the installation was successful, but in the end, I received an error.
See attached screenshots.

Actually it is not an error. It simply means the action did not complete within the limit. If you try with nuv setup nuvolaris hello it should work. We believe it is because it is taking too much to download the images for the first time. We will add a wait for it to avoid the problem asap.

Thanks for your response. I’ve tried the command nuv setup nuvolaris hello and the response was immediate with no error.

This is my hardware:

I think I identified the problem - we are building the new version to solve the delay for the first run

Hello all we updated Nuvolaris to solve the problem of the slow startup of the hello function, please just nuv -update to get the latest version of the cli.
Try to uninstall (nuv setup devcluster --uninstall or nuv setup server --uninstall or nuv setup cluster --uninstall) and reinstall and should work.
Please report failures

Hi all!
I came across a bizarre situation that made me waste a lot of time before managing to install Nuvolaris: I’m sharing it with you to avoid wasting time like I did!

First of all, I was trying to install Nuvolaris in my home environment which consists of a VM with MicroK8s installed in it. My network is private (IP 10.x.x.x) and everything is behind the operator’s router WITHOUT a public IP address. My setup is much more complex and I’m summarizing it for simplicity…

Well, in this configuration I was not able to install Nuvolaris!

These are the commands used for the installation:

1. nuv config enable --all
  2. nuv config apihost
  3. nuv setup cluster

During the installation I was faced with an error like this:
“Unable to obtain the list of available namespaces: Get “http://10.x.x.x.nip.io/api/v1/namespaces”: dial tcp: lookup 10.21.22.100.nip.io on 127.0.0.53:53: no such host”

I’ve verified ten times everything, I’ve reinstalled the server and, overall, reinstalled MicroK8s following Michele’s suggestion described here, but I still couldn’t install Nuvolaris.

I contacted Michele via chat to get some ideas and he wrote me a sentence that made me turn on the light (thanks again Michele!): I had a problem with DNS configuration!

I did some checks and, in summary, this is the solution: when you’re in a similar situation to me (private network behind the operator’s router and without a public IP address), you need to make sure your network (and, specifically, your VM) can resolve a domain name like 10.x.x.x.nip.io to an internal address.

Some routers have an active configuration to protect the network from “DNS rebinding” problems (more details here) which means that the DNS does not respond to requests for resolution of “external” domain names that return “internal” addresses.

In this situation, there are three ways to solve the problem:

1. Change DNS configuration to disable the “rebinding protection”
  2. If your router configuration allows it, put “nip.io” domain in your “rebinding protection” whitelist
  3. Change your network configuration to use a different DNS server, using, for example, Google or Cloudflare DNS directly (this is the solution I used).

I hope I have been clear and, above all, useful to anyone who has found themselves in this type of situation.

Enjoy Nuvolaris!
Alessandro

Thanks for you notes… yes we try always to provide a DNS hostname even if there is only an IP address, and we use the service nip.io to do so. So if you have an ip 1.2.3.4, then we convert it in 1.2.3.4.nip.io (the first one being an IP address, the second a DNS hostname). Of course if DNS does not work… then it breaks.

Unfortuately we do not support in community “air-gapped” environment as everything must be download from the net so it does not make any sense, and we expect DNS to work.